Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Board Suggestions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board Suggestions

This is replacing the Changes post.

We've done this before, and I've gotten some good suggestions... but now that there is some more freedom with the server and the forum software allows a bit more freedom, I would like some suggestions for the board. I really want to make this a great place for all of you to hang out in, so let me know of any changes you would like, and I will look into getting them done.

I'll be updating this post with the current suggestions that are going to be implemented.
    1. Make the usernames smaller on the posts. - erikpemberton
    2. Unread threads should be marked read when you leave the forum. - One Second Clubber.
    3. Make a clearer distinction between new and old posts. - TheRuleofThree
    4. Better icons. - Lots of people
    5. Break up Non-Dredg Talk into "Other Bands" and "Offtopic" - Volvox
    6. Multiple skins - TheRuleofThree
    7. Post YouTube link or video. - One Second Clubber
    8. Merge double posts - Trathena
    9. Custom user titles - evasivetear

Responses to requests:
    2. The current method is actually the best currently available.
    3. Turning the post title a different color is the best option. Any color recommendations?
    4. Make some and I'll use them
    5. Voted on. Basically tied. If it ever becomes a real problem, this will probably be done.
    6. Make some and I'll use them
    Last edited by Ars Sycro; April 24, 2008, 05:29 AM.
    Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
    Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Re: Board Suggestions

Is there any way to make a clearer distinction between older posts and newer posts in the forum view? The bold yellow doesn't really stand out more and just makes me squint trying to see if a thread is new or not.
    Originally posted by Gnomad
    I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
    Originally posted by auto-de-fe
    do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

OSC, I looked into your suggestion (from the Changes post) and the current option is actually the most useable.

Basically, the 3 options are:
      1. Mark threads read based on cookies. Does not seem to mark posts read when you view them.
      2. Mark threads read based on viewing forum.
      3. Mark threads read based on viewing thread. Currently what is being used.

I'll look for maybe a plugin that can better handle this. But for now, you can just use the link at the bottom of the forum homepage to mark them all as read.

Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
        Is there any way to make a clearer distinction between older posts and newer posts in the forum view? The bold yellow doesn't really stand out more and just makes me squint trying to see if a thread is new or not.
        Would a totally different color help you out?

If so, any color suggestions?

Comment

Good question. I don't know what color I'd go with... maybe someone with better experience at designing this stuff could suggest something so that it doesn't look gawdy or anything.

Super God.
          do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

As soon as I can find out where to edit it, I'll try out some other colors.

Comment

I think there should be a better separation between "dredg/non-dredg talk". I'd like to see new categories like "other bands"/"offtopic" instead of only "non-dredg talk". (for example)

And of course better icons (this standard blue doesn't fit to black/orange imo)

Comment

This Part:
                <<<<<

Needs to be controlled a bit better.

Some people with longer usernames, or huge images, make this part go a bit weird and it ruins the flow of reading topics... and it looks ugly.
                (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Originally posted by cribble View Post
                  This Part:
                  <<<<<

Needs to be controlled a bit better.

Some people with longer usernames, or huge images, make this part go a bit weird and it ruins the flow of reading topics... and it looks ugly.
                  I believe this has been fixed. Previously, I had edited it to put it on the side... but I didn't put much thought into it. When fixing other stuff this morning, I found an option to place it on the side, which I think corrects most issues. Also, the smaller text for names should help.

Comment

Originally posted by Volvox View Post
                    I think there should be a better separation between "dredg/non-dredg talk". I'd like to see new categories like "other bands"/"offtopic" instead of only "non-dredg talk". (for example)

And of course better icons (this standard blue doesn't fit to black/orange imo)
                    Icons, yes.

The other, I'll put up a poll.

Comment

Also Josh, maybe we could do several skins for the board... one based on each of the color combinations from the three main albums? That way old schoolers can still use the Leitmotif colors or switch to a lighter tone (such as a white/green/pink for CWA) if the choose.

Super God.

Comment

If somebody wants to come up with a color scheme, I'm open to it.... but I suck at this stuff.

Comment

Different color schemes based off of the colors of the albums sounds great. I will help participate in this however I can.
                          http://www.facebook.com/iknockstuffdown

Originally posted by Knifeboy
                          seeing how i'm a pompous asshole, AND a rapist.. Do you really have to ask?

Comment

As posted in another thread. Is there anyway to post youtube videos as links and not embeded videos?
                            Originally posted by Ars Sycro
                            I have a type. I like hot bitches.

Comment

No. Unless I get rid of the embedded videos all together...

Comment

Working...
                              X