Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Subtle @ Pilot Light in Knoxville TN on the 12th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subtle @ Pilot Light in Knoxville TN on the 12th

Is anyone going? I'm driving to Knoxville with some pals to the show, just wondering if we could meet up with someone else who's going.  There has to be someone who's going.

watch out for flying plastic forks...
    Originally posted by vsd
    ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

i saw them open for minus a few days ago. Quite a performance. I wasn't interested in his work until I saw him live.

Comment

i caught a song of theirs at the minus the bear show as well, but i really didn't enjoy it, maybe if i had caught more of their performance i'd have a different opinion.....eh

which show were you at kata the wed. or thurs. show?

i was looking down at you smiling up at me....

Comment

Yikes, good thing MtB won't be at the Knoxville show.

Comment

whatever, minus the bear is dope.

subtle and doseone are hard to top though.  

two of my favorite bands in the world.  

i <3 anticon.
            Originally posted by vsd

Comment

Bleh, perhaps.  The vocalist just gets on my nerves mainly.  OH yeah and somehow they became the pop sensation in my town, I'm not sure how.  People who would normally would be listening  to stuff like 50 Cent and Maroon 5 would be wearing Minus the Bear t-shirts and would say that MtB use to be called Botch, never having heard their music.  I use to be really into anticon until lately.  Most of the roster thinks they are above and better than hip hop now for some reason.  Subtle and Themselves, basically Doseone and Jel are the only two people worth listening to on Anticon anymore, eh maybe Sole.  The Skyrider stuff wasn't that amazing.

Comment

i don't know why anticon always gets that reputation for being high and mighty...everything they ever say is exactly the opposite.  they have never been hip hop.  they have always just been music.  music influenced by hip hop.  it's like 5 years ago they were the up and coming trend, and now lately everyone just considers them hasbeens.  i'm not sure what changed.  i guess they signed some artists that don't rap.  whatever, the old guys are still making good music.  that new skyrider album is up there with selling live water in my opinion.  live from rome was good too.  why? is awesome.  passage/restiform bodies are dope, although they've been dormant.  alias is amazing whether he's rapping or making albums of ambient beats and flute.  i'm pretty excited for the next 13&god album, and of course the new themselves, and the next why? rap album.  there will never be another deep puddle dynamics, and that's okay.  i just think that the label is still putting out the most innovative and the most interesting music around.
                Originally posted by vsd

Comment

Not trying to start a debate here but...I find it hard to believe where anticon thought they were originally going releasing a compilation album aptly titled 'Music for the Advancement of Hip Hop'.  They started trying to veer away from hip hop AFTER they got hated on by all kinds of people who saw them as a bunch of elitist rap nerds.  Personally I think Alias is garbage, well his little bleep blip music is, The Other Side of the Looking Glass is phenomenal.   Telephone Jim Jesus is the only guy on Anticon I think that is still releasing quality music,  his newest record is probably one of my favorites this year.  I thought Why? was done with rap.

Comment

anticon is dope as fuck and so is alias!  doseone/subtle were amazing live and were super cool guys to talk to!

Comment

yeah i won't argue with you over personal taste.  regarding the music for the advancement of hip hop album if you go back and check the tracklist all those people are still rapping.  some for other labels (i.e. slug, buck 65, sixtoo, eyedea) and the others are still doing their thing on anticon.  dose, sole, and pedestrian really haven't stopped what they started 10 years ago.  it's not like they got scared because all these so called "hip hop heads" were calling them out.  personally, i'll say that the album had the proper title.  for the time period that it came out, the title most certainly does fit.  and if it was released today, it would still fit.  hip hop has been eating itself alive ever since its inception.  the title doesn't claim to be the pinnacle of hip hop, it's music FOR the advancement.  it was meant to influence a new generation.  to plant the idea of that hip hop doesn't have to be anything that it has been for the last 10 years.  that you can actually be vulnerable and creatively express yourself, rather than project yourself as the toughest, angriest rapper in every song you create.  i would say that it worked.  along with some other labels and crews (living legends, some of def jux) anticon helped shift the direction of hip hop as a whole.  think about it.  two of the biggest 'underground' rap acts had their careers launched on anticon (sage francis and atmosphere).  it's not like anticon kicked them off of their label after some idiots decided that anticon wasn't hip hop enough.  they made smart business decisions and moved on to bigger opportunities.  and like i  said, everyone that started out rapping on anticon and is still there, they are still working on hip hop music.  and even if they weren't, what's wrong with change?  even the new artists on the label that aren't rap at all are clearly influenced by the hip hop genre.  yes, why? and alias are both working on RAP albums.
                      Originally posted by vsd

Comment

Working...
                      X