Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

This is the end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is the end

Hey guys and gals. It's been a long road.... but I think this may be the end for Traversing. I know the guys are working on new stuff, but we're on a very dated and insecure version of the forum software currently, and it's not cheap to upgrade. On March 5, my hosting company will be killing the current version of PHP this board runs on.... and with no real upgrade path (without a decent investment), I think this is the end for our community.

We do have our Facebook group if people want to try and keep things going there, but I sadly think it's time to call it a day here.

- Ars
    Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
    Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Re: This is the end

Nooooooo!

I get it though.

Edit: What would an upgrade actually cost?
    Last edited by Mr Rogers; February 27, 2020, 07:53 PM.
    Blast off, it's party time!

Comment

You should start a new free forum using this: https://www.proboards.com/create-free-forum

Comment

I understand why, but it's unfortunate, if for no other reason, but the history.

I wonder if there's a way to Archive it?
        allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Can’t say I’m surprised, but definitely bummed. Shit only a few days to go.
          Originally posted by Gnomad
          How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Rogers View Post
            Nooooooo!

I get it though.

Edit: What would an upgrade actually cost?
            It would only be about $250 now. But it also feels like it's fighting a neverending battle at times. And I don't know what the man-hours in upgrading would actually be, and how much custom stuff we currently have that would actually work on the latest. We're more than a full release behind.
            ---
            Originally posted by SoundscapeMN View Post
            I understand why, but it's unfortunate, if for no other reason, but the history.

I wonder if there's a way to Archive it?
            I'm not planning to get rid of the DB. And I may see if there's some cheaper option I can do, but it definitely won't look as nice. And not sure if it would be easy to port the DB.

Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

You got me in my feels!
              I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
              I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
              A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
              To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Sad. Too bad for the short notice, could possibly help you out. What do you need for hosting? What version of php?

Comment

Originally posted by PapaSkot View Post
                  Sad. Too bad for the short notice, could possibly help you out. What do you need for hosting? What version of php?
                  Think this version caps at 5.x

Comment

Damn that sucks, have you looked into simple machines as an alternative for forums. I hosted a small site a while back using it and it worked fairly well.

Comment

I just checked my join date. June 26th, 2005.

Thank you for everything!

Comment

Originally posted by ReaperKK View Post
                        Damn that sucks, have you looked into simple machines as an alternative for forums. I hosted a small site a while back using it and it worked fairly well.
                        And like I already suggested, you can start a forum for FREE here: https://www.proboards.com/create-free-forum

Yes, we would probably have to start completely over, but you could make a post telling everyone to go there and maybe leave this forum open for a bit longer until all the regular posters sign up. Ars, what are your thoughts on this?

Comment

And I’ll post my query here too, does anyone have a copy of Three Hour Banana, the CWA documentary? I lost mine in a HD crash a while back and it’s gone from their store.
                          Originally posted by Gnomad
                          How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

Comment

ah, shame really, but i can see why you wouldn put the effort and/or money into a new version. Thanks a lot for all the work and time you and everyone involved put into mantaining this forum! Chhers!

There is a facebook page? Any link to it?
                            We are all part of the problem

Comment

Booo!!!

But yeah, that makes sense. I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened sooner. Still sucks though. And we'll never get the pleasure of telling Ooga that he was wrong about dredg's new album (that gets released sometime in the next 20 years).

Cheers!!!

---
                              Originally posted by Kyte30351 View Post
                              And I’ll post my query here too, does anyone have a copy of Three Hour Banana, the CWA documentary? I lost mine in a HD crash a while back and it’s gone from their store.
                              Here's my last good Traversing deed...

Originally posted by Ars Sycro
                              I have a type. I like hot bitches.

Comment

Working...
                              X