Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Soundwave Festival: w/ Devin Townsend Project & Meshuggah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundwave Festival: w/ Devin Townsend Project & Meshuggah

an odd pairing. Any Aussie fans around here?
    Last edited by SoundscapeMN; January 19, 2012, 06:38 AM.
    allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Re: Soundwave Festival: w/ Devin Townsend Project & Meshuggah

... yeah, that's a bit off the wall... even Meshuggah and Devin Townsend is kind of weird.

Comment

That's cool that Chuckles got a good review in Revolver. I would not have expected that.
      Originally posted by vsd
      ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

Holy fuck, I wish I could make that. That is almost a dream billing for me. All three are in my top 20 all time. They are an odd combination, but not really when you think about it. I think touring with the Deftones really elevated dredg, so they can clearly appeal to a more metal crowd. I know Meshuggah is about to release a new album, so I think that will be an indicator. Either way, those guys are insanely talented and I had to miss the only chance I got to see them. As for Devy, that guy totally fits with dredg now. The whole purpose of Devin Townsend project fits in with the dredg purpose of change. He was exploring the four corners of his musical persona.

I wish they'd make this a more global affair.
        ---
        As an aside, I hope this somehow reflects in their next studio offering. I think the guys could learn a lot with them. Also, I wonder if they'll get Fredrik or Devy to offer some solos on stage... I know Devy doesn't really appreciate the guitar solo and Fredrik is so different than other guitarists, but I think it would be cool as shit.

Does anyone know any Aussie tapers?
        I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
        I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
        A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
        To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Will be an interesting show, I've always wanted to see DTP

Comment

Man, I would absolutely love to see that. Australia better be happy. I do bass and vocals in a death metal band and one of our main influences is Meshuggah, and I can say without a doubt that dredg is my favorite band. I've started getting into DTP recently and this lineup would blow me away. I think with how diverse Devin Townsend is, the fans are going to accept dredg pretty well.

Also, Meshuggah is doing a US tour with Decapitated in May. Holy crap.

Comment

The Australian tour has begun.

anyone here is going to one of their shows?

hopefully they play some old songs they haven't played in awhile like scissor lock.

Comment

NEW SHOW ADDED:

Santa Clara, CA: Avalon Nightclub
                March 22nd
                Hometown show for dredg, should b a good time

Comment

^Saw that.
                  wonder if its a start of a new u.s tour?

there isn't much footage of the australian tour
                  here is a short video of ode to the sun

Comment

I like all three bands but if dredg and RXB fans couldn't get along I don't such many new converts coming out of this.

Comment

Originally posted by noresolution View Post
                      I like all three bands but if dredg and RXB fans couldn't get along I don't such many new converts coming out of this.
                      I disagree. I felt like the RXB fans were the biggest twerps I'd seen at a dredg show. I don't mind their music, but their fans were generally little shits with their heads up their asses. That Christian rock band that they toured CWA with was pretty bad, too. The all ages shows are pretty much all whack.
                      ---
                      Originally posted by DforDrums View Post
                      I think with how diverse Devin Townsend is, the fans are going to accept dredg pretty well.
                      Those two are a great match, honestly. Devy's recent stuff has been very atmospheric, wall-of-soundy. What I've heard of Meshuggah's new album is a lot slower, almost sludgy, but I haven't heard all of it. I know Devy is impressed, so that says something.
                      ---
                      Also, DTP will have Fredrik of Meshuggah on hand to play that insane solo in Deconstruction....
                      Last edited by AnewKINDofFEELING; March 2, 2012, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Royalboy View Post
                        ^Saw that.
                        wonder if its a start of a new u.s tour?

there isn't much footage of the australian tour
                        here is a short video of ode to the sun
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3FugbS8vD4
                        here's another one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qpBo...eature=related
                        We are all part of the problem

Comment

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
                          I disagree. I felt like the RXB fans were the biggest twerps I'd seen at a dredg show.
                          This was the only tour I missed that's come within 300 miles of me. And it was because they cancelled the show I was gonna go to, at least that's what I remember.

Anyway, I felt they received the worst reception from Deftones fans when they opened fer them around the release of CWA.
                          Originally posted by Gnomad
                          How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyte30351 View Post
                            Anyway, I felt they received the worst reception from Deftones fans when they opened fer them around the release of CWA.
                            That's weird. The Deftones fans in Nola were digging the fuck out of them. Seriously, I have never seen and entire crowd head-bobbing in sync like they were during Ode to the Sun. It was very memorable and it stood out to me like "Holy shit, Deftones fans are digging the hell out of this." At one point, a couple of the more hood rat bouncers were gesturing back and forth about how good Dino is. Maybe it was because dredg was really on that night, but they made a lot of fans at that show.

Comment

It might also have been DC area fans. I've found that in general they fans of bands in this area are not very open minded about anyone else playin' on the bill.
                              Originally posted by Gnomad
                              How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

Comment

Working...
                              X