Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

The Thought Of Losing You Video Teaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Thought Of Losing You Video Teaser

I don't not like it.
    http://turntable.fm/traversing

BYOB

Comment

Penguin has a point in a sense, it is really all over the place with ideas and concepts. But the video not bad.

Comment

And how exactly were the Of The Room and Same Ol' Road videos linked? Or even similar?
        Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
        Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

I think the band (and us, for that matter) have discussed at great lengths that this is not exactly the most cohesive album. It's just a collection of songs, old and new, that may or may not share a lyrical theme of family. The subsequent art and promotion have been correspondingly spontaneous and sporadic.

I think this video is well done, and fitting, for me what amounts to be the structurally strongest song on the record.
          Originally posted by vsd
          ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

yeah, i totally link the song with the theme of the video. I think theres a deep down need somewhere for us to always try and find deep meaning in dredg songs but the reality is gavin has said this song is about his sister (or some family member) coming back from war. The video isn't exactly that, but it goes through the motions and the roller coaster ride of not knowing if a loved one is going to pass. As for the party going on in the room while this is all going on may mean the random distractions throughout life or something but for the most part i would just like to enjoy visuals to the music i listen to. Also, this video also made me realize how heavy and kick ass the bass line in this song is.
            Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

i looked at it more as he was having a pep-rally/fantasy, getting himself all psyched up to go over and provide the woman with comfort and support in her time of need.

both of them, looking like they're on their way out...getting up and walking probably isn't the easiest of things.

to let someone know that they are loved and not alone in this world, especially in their final moments, would have been an action met with great celebration.

the end scene though, shows that the man wasn't able to muster up the strength to actually get across the room by himself and thus, he sadly turns on his side, is fantasy not lived out, and awaits his own time to pass, alone.

OR MAYBE I COMPLETELY MISUNDERSTOOD THE MEANING. shug
              Originally posted by Lye In Your Eye
              you're pretty narcissistic
              enjoy that, nobody else does.
              Originally posted by Madklikor
              You call me ignorant? LOL...Stop judging right you or you're gonna find me

Comment

Love the video...and it honestly makes me really like the song a lot more. I've always felt it was a fairly pedestrian song. The imagery and style of the video, to me, give it a weight and emotional depth I hadn't felt from the song before. The video brings out the energy of the song in new ways as well. Really great stuff, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Sittingsideways View Post
                  gavin has said this song is about his sister (or some family member) coming back from war.
                  I'm almost positive that Gavin said this about Upon Returning, not The Thought of Losing You. I wouldn't stake my life on it, but if I remember the Houston show correctly he was introducing Upon Returning when he said it's about his sister who served in the Army, and how he was really proud of her.

Love the video...and it honestly makes me really like the song a lot more. I've always felt it was a fairly pedestrian song. The imagery and style of the video, to me, give it a weight and emotional depth I hadn't felt from the song before. The video brings out the energy of the song in new ways as well. Really great stuff, IMO.
                  Yes, I felt the exact same way.
                  The way I interpreted the video is that this older couple is hospitalized for whatever reason, and the husband is about to die. Everyone around him is celebrating the life he's lived and giving him all the attention, but all he can think about is how he's losing his wife by dying. He feels like there is a parade of attention around him, but his wife is alone. All he wants to do is be with her a little longer and comfort her. That was my take on it, I could have missed a ton of stuff that would completely refute that.

Comment

From the video I couldn't tell whether the couple even knew eachother.
                    Dredg's lyrics and song meanings have never been a significant part of the experience of their music for me. I think they're a little pseudo-intellectual at points and I don't take their statements or whatever too seriously. A lot of the song interpretation is mostly speculation from what I've seen and I think people might read into the lyrics too much. After trying to understand the lyrics to leitmotif and el cielo I decided the sound was much more significant to me. I've never even read the lyrics to most of their songs nor do I particularly listen to them.

I mean there are bands whose use of lyrics has really shaped the experience for me. The sound and feel of the lyrics used by modest mouse and mars volta has defined the bands to me, and for irony and content I admire bright eyes.
                    Last edited by Penguin88; December 1, 2011, 10:14 PM.
                    just sayin'...

Comment

Originally posted by DforDrums View Post
                      I'm almost positive that Gavin said this about Upon Returning, not The Thought of Losing You. I wouldn't stake my life on it, but if I remember the Houston show correctly he was introducing Upon Returning when he said it's about his sister who served in the Army, and how he was really proud of her.
                      He's said both are about his sister.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
                        He's said both are about his sister.
                        I just read an interview earlier today and realized that. Oops!

Comment

Working...
                        X