Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Dredg featured on MTV's website...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dredg featured on MTV's website...

Personal enthusiasm w/r/t dredg is low at the moment, but good press nonetheless.

Re: Dredg featured on MTV's website...

Originally posted by SomeHomelessGuy View Post
    http://newsroom.mtv.com/2011/10/05/b.../?xrs=share_fb

Personal enthusiasm w/r/t dredg is low at the moment, but good press nonetheless.
    MTV is blocked here. Not a big loss, but I would like to read what they have to say. Can someone quote it here for me?
    ---
    Originally posted by SomeHomelessGuy View Post
    Personal enthusiasm w/r/t dredg is low at the moment
    Sad, isn't it? I hope they're writing new material. Thankfully, several other bands have put out killer records lately, so I can survive the time between TPTPTD and the next one.

I did listen to CAMS on my way home last night, but I still find myself skipping. Basically, the only songs that I listened to completely were Another Tribe, Down Without a Fight, Kalathat, and Where I'll End Up. I am starting to enjoy some of the subtle additions to The Ornament, but it is just packaged in such a cheesy way.
    I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
    I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
    A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
    To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Let's see if this works:
      Bands We Like: Dredg

Posted 20 hrs ago by MTV News in Bands We Like

Dredg

By Zachary Swickey

Some bands or artists may not have platinum albums or chart-topping hits, but they are still critically favored and have loyal, cult-like fanbases. Take for example Ryan Adams or even The Mars Volta – both are revered by fellow musicians and their fans flock to their performances. They may not be selling out arenas, but their attendees know every word to every song. The same can be said about Dredg, an enthralling experimental rock band based out of the Bay area.

Dredg consists of four friends from Los Gatos, California, who have weathered the storm and managed to stay together for well over a decade. The best way to listen to them is in a live setting: Bassist Drew Roulette plays barefoot due to all the triggers and pedals he must set off; drummer Dino Campanella can be seen playing the piano and drums simultaneously on occasion; guitarist Mark Engles shreds on his guitar with insane ferocity; while singer Gavin Hayes often wails on a slide guitar (even known to snap a screwdriver in half while playing with it). Roulette and Hayes are even known to raffle off some of their paintings at their shows. The band has a chemistry and musicianship that is quite rare, something you only see in bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, as if they were born to play together.

They’ve been around awhile – one of their first touring mates was Alien Ant Farm if that says anything – independently releasing their first album, Leitmotif, back in ’98 at a time when gladly forgotten bands like Limp Bizkit ruled the charts. While a solid first effort, Dredg truly stepped up their game with their followup release, El Cielo – translated as “Heaven” or “Sky” in English. El Cielo is a concept album about sleep paralysis, a phenomena that occurs when someone’s body is shut-down deep in the REM cycle while sleeping, yet is self-aware, unable to move.

The album is full of thought-provoking lyrics such as “babies are born in the same buildings where people go to pass away,” which doesn’t sound like it would roll off the tongue, but singer Gavin Hayes recites everything with a poet-like charisma (resembling a modern-day Jim Morrison when performing). El Cielo paints a thick atmosphere throughout with hints of Indian-influence – strings abound and there are sounds that were likely obtained using unorthodox recording methods. Even the instrumental segues that connect the hour-long album are must-listens. Oh, and did I mention the album was recorded at George Lucas’s Skywalker Ranch?

DREDG - Upon Returning from merkley??? on Vimeo.

For their third album, Dredg hired legendary producer Terry Date (Deftones, Soundgarden, Pantera) to man the boards. The outcome, Catch Without Arms, is a more straightforward rock record with blistering, heavy-hitting songs like “Hung Over on a Tuesday” and “The Tanbark is Hot Lava.” The album throws some curve balls with groovy tracks like “Zebraskin” and “Sang Real,” which further illustrate the evolution of the group.

The beauty of Dredg is that every album they release sounds completely different. While some fans embrace this, others decry it. Such was the case with their next album: The Parrot, The Pariah, The Delusion. Released in June 2009, the album was inspired by controversial author Salman Rushdie’s “Imagine There Is No Heaven: A Letter to the Six Billionth Citizen.” Despite the heavy inspirational material, the album leaned towards a more pop-oriented sound, and once again proved that Dredg isn’t afraid to take chances and constantly evolve musically. The lyrics of Hayes are a highlight again, “There is no need to complain / ‘Cause we’ve been ignoring this warning” (taken from “Mourning this Morning”). “Light Switch” sounds like the beginning of a wicked, spaghetti-western with the Southern drawl of the guitar. The group’s musicianship shines wildly on “Gathering Pebbles” with Campanella’s quirky-but-precise drumming, Engles’s brooding guitar licks, and a bouncy, old-school keyboard sound keeping the pace.

Dredg fans would be divided even further with their next release, this year’s Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy (yeah, I have no clue either). Unarguably their most experimental effort to date, the album was helmed by underground hip-hop superproducer, Dan the Automator (Gorillaz, Del the Funky Homosapien). Opening with a beat that sounds like something out of a circus, “Another Tribe” is a great way to begin the album – it’s a freakishly catchy tune. “Somebody is Laughing” is one the album’s strongest, and once again takes on religion – "So many people looking for answers / So many people forget to exist” – yet there is a chorus of poppy “oh’s” and “ahs” still to be found. “The Thought of Losing You” is a beautiful love letter with lyrics urging one to not give up on love, or perhaps life even. Overall, the album is their most ambitious to date, thanks in part to Dan the Automator, who the band considered to be an unofficial fifth member for the effort.

It’s no wonder why you can name drop Dredg to a band, and receive an enthusiastic response – the group has never let their sound grow stale and make music for themselves out of their sheer passion for it. Simply put, Dredg makes music for all the right reasons, which is a rewarding experience for anyone willing to listen.
      Pretty interesting. Dredg has gotten some pretty impressive exposure this year (Spin Magazine, big European shows, now this)...which I think for many fans is odd considering the mixed views on CAMS. I'm curious/hopeful to see if they can parlay this into a critically and monetarily successful next album.

Comment

I have always said that they are a really under appreciated band and when i see things like this... i love it.

Bands We Like: Dredg
        by MTV News in Bands We Like

By Zachary Swickey

.... I did post this entire article but .cheapham beat me too it by 6mins
        ---
        Weren't they also mentioned in AP?
        Last edited by TheSpyFox; October 6, 2011, 03:31 PM. Reason: double post

Comment

What a perfect summary of the band: "...the group has never let their sound grow stale and make music for themselves out of their sheer passion for it. Simply put, Dredg (sic - heh) makes music for all the right reasons, which is a rewarding experience for anyone willing to listen."

One of the most honest things I've read when it comes to being in a band comes from Danny Carey, via his website:

"Q: How did tool get signed? Any ideas? How would you recommend getting signed?

A: If you are playing music to get signed, please do me, yourself, and the whole world a favor and quit right now. The last thing this world needs is more shit to filter through when we are looking for sincerity and inspiration in art forms. If you are playing in a band in your local scene and not developing a following, then you don't have a voice or a message that needs to be heard. That's not to say you should quit. You should just quit trying to please other people and play for yourself. Tool only played 7 gigs before the sharks were circling, looking for fresh meat to rob and exploit. The reason for this was every time we played, our friends went home and told their friends about the next gig, who told their friends about the next gig etc. until by the time we had done 5 shows, the clubs we were playing in were packed. You either have a chemistry that taps into the current or you don't. There is nothing wrong with playing heart felt music that is not trendy or popular but there is nothing worse than someone bastardizing or compromising their art for the sake of popularity and money."

I just wish that for dredg, that honesty and musical purity would pan out. I wish I could do more to make that happen.
          A vest has no sleeves.

Comment

I like that they wrote the article, but some of the inaccuracies are pretty bad. The Parrot, The Pariah, The Delusion? El Cielo was about sleep paralysis? It seems like he did a little research into their background but missed the mark in his analysis.

It's also funny that he chose a lyric from El Cielo that Pitchfork specifically targeted as horrible. I've always thought it was a great line.

Comment

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
              El Cielo was about sleep paralysis?
              It's a pretty major theme, is it not?

Comment

Originally posted by .cheapham. View Post
                It's a pretty major theme, is it not?
                It is a theme, but I don't think it is THE theme. Beyond Scissorlock.
                ---
                I personally think the nexus of consciousness and subconsciousness is the broader theme. Sleep paralysis is just clearly identified.
                ---
                I think the writer has probably visited this site, either way.

Comment

I'll be impressed when this site makes it on MTV
                  Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                  Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Like Jersey Shore with more neckbeards and less women.
                    http://turntable.fm/traversing

BYOB

Comment

Haha, and less herpes.

Comment

You sure about that?
                        Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                        Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Every member of this board could have herpes and we'd still have less herpes than Snooki.

Comment

Herpes sounds like a roleplaying name.

Herpes the Barbarian?

Comment

I thought Herpes sounded more like a Greek God. Herpes, God of Creeping.
                              A vest has no sleeves.

Comment

Working...
                              X