Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

el cielo sacd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• el cielo sacd?

What kind of systems make use of the enhanced sound? What would be the most cost effective way to get the sacd quality, and how different is the sound ftom a regular cd, really? Would Srs trusurround be on my tv utilize the sacd benefits? (Prob not)
    just sayin'...

Re: el cielo sacd?

the sound quality difference isn't terribly noticeable to me, the 5.1 mix is obviously different though.

i bought a first-gen ps3 (newer ones don't support sacd), but i wanted all the other stuff it does. you can probably find a used sacd player or sacd-compatible dvd player for less. used surround receivers are cheap. get some decent speakers. my system was probably about 800 total, new except the ps3. you could probably put one together for quite enough less if you got everything used.

never tried trusurroud, can't comment.

Comment

Found out trusurround just takes regular audio and digitally enhances it to imitate surround sound.
      just sayin'...

Comment

From what I understand SACD is very outmoded these days.

Comment

Yeah, it was supposed to be the next step, and then Blu-Ray kind of took priority. They were supposed to go back and kind of make it a standard, but digital music kind of proved itself to be the evolution, so it's pretty much been abandoned.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
            Yeah, it was supposed to be the next step, and then Blu-Ray kind of took priority. They were supposed to go back and kind of make it a standard, but digital music kind of proved itself to be the evolution, so it's pretty much been abandoned.
            Funny how the "evolution" is actually lower-quality than normal, red book CD's. In a matter of a decade, we've gone from some bands doing SACD/DVD-A releases to some bands forgoing CD's entirely and only offering crappy MP3's.

Speaking of which, it's a shame El Cielo wasn't released on DVD-A instead of SACD. Those can be read and even ripped by standard DVD-ROM drives, so all you need is a good sound card or receiver to take advantage.

Comment

bump.

I saw a copy of this at Amoeba records in Hollywood last night for $50, and passed on it. I now go onto ebay and discogs and people are selling it for more than twice that much, lol

I hope I didn't pass up a bargain, but I also don't know if/when I'd ever be able to listen to the SACD part of it.

however, i also did find 2 cool dredg items on cd for rather cheap.

-Bug Eyes CD Single (Promo)
              -Excerpts from Leitmotif CD (Promo)

each were only $2.

I'm in town for the Michael Nesmith show at the Troubadour tonight (my wife is a HUGE fan)
              allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Yeh, the SACD is more of a novelty item as this point, than something one should really look into buying, imo. Unless you're a jerk completionist, like me.

I think I got my SACD copy for $15? Years ago prior to blue-rays even being a thing. Didn't even realize anyone would pay that much for it, since it's a dead-ish format.
                Originally posted by Lye In Your Eye
                you're pretty narcissistic
                enjoy that, nobody else does.
                Originally posted by Madklikor
                You call me ignorant? LOL...Stop judging right you or you're gonna find me

Comment

It’s one of the few dredg items I still need!
                  Originally posted by Gnomad
                  How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

Comment

I also bought a SACD of El Cielo back then. Never listened to it on a SACD player.

Comment

Working...
                    X