Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Kalathat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kalathat

Kalathat
    Track 8 from Chuckles & Mr. Squeezy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl1UXP5QNS8

Lyrics
    He lived a life, never offended, he played by the rules
    Struck the right chords, he never was out of tune
    Sacrificed every second for his kids and wife
    Thought to himself if I only had more time

He said it’s a problem that I’ll solve
    It’s a problem to resolve
    Someday

Commuted daily to his high tech job
    Waited in line patiently with the rest of the mob
    Now a taste of success can’t forever jade
    When the pink slip arrived, he finally lost his way

He said it’s a problem that I’ll solve
    It’s a problem to resolve
    Someday

He abandoned his family, he’s by himself
    There’s nothing left now, no substance, no wealth
    His whole life was work and business, he could hardly see
    A story of a jaded man, he’ll never know what could have been
    It’s all too common these days

It’s a problem that he solved
    It’s a problem he resolved

Re: Song of the Week: Kalathat

I don't get how anyone could dislike this song. Great vocals, sweet guitar part, awesome song.
    How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

-Gnomad

Comment

wanted to hear this song last may in LA and they didn't play it.

this is one of my favorites on the album.

Comment

I like it, but somethin' about it doesn't feel like the rest of the album. Kinda like the odd man out. I think I feel it interrupts the flow of the album, not necessarily a bad thing.
        Originally posted by Gnomad
        How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

Comment

^^^I agree but I love the song and I'm really glad they didn't try to make it fit with the rest of the album and screw the song up like they did with a few other songs. I would have liked to see more Kalathat type songs on CAWS giving the album a more soulful vibe and mixed with the electronic pop side I think it would have worked.

Comment

I firmly believe there isn't a flow to this album whatsoever, so i dunno about it "disrupting" the flow of the album. I mean... if you wanna get into it, you can say that the songs "upon returning" and "the thought of losing you" disrupt the album solely because they're more rock oriented... more so than the rest of the album at least. I mean the song stands WAY out on the album but i don't think the album flows well anyways... plus, i don't think just because the song doesn't fit well with the others doesn't mean the song isn't good, it just means it was wrongly placed. Personally i think this song would have worked really well as a "hidden track"

I absolutely love this song. This song exemplifies everything that dredg talks about when they say they speak about change. This song is completely different than anything they've almost EVER recorded. And they do it damn well. I think that the vocals on this song may be the best Gavin has ever recorded. And that guitar riff is so different than anything they've ever done. Its totally singer songwriter... this is a genre i would LOVE dredg to experiment with just a little, just as long as all the songs are executed the way this song is.
            Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

My reaction upon first hearing it: A taste of Gavin's future solo career; better than I expected.
              Originally posted by vsd
              ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

It's close to perfect. I'm not sure what would make it better though.
                words always ebbing, never flowing

Comment

Maybe some piano. It might not need it, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Comment

Nah... i think it was executed as best as it could. Simplicity sometimes hits the spot.

And when i say simplicity i mean, not so simple. haha... that guitar riff coupled with that vocal pattern is actually quite interesting.

Comment

Yeah, this is one of the best songs on the album. One of the best-recorded, as well. The vocals are actually well-recorded, which I find rare on Chuckles. That's not a criticism of the "vocals," but I just feel like several songs sound like they were recorded through a cellphone. Back to Kalathat, I love the guitar work. A lot of people have mentioned Elliott Smith, and I can see that, but it actually reminds me of Opeth quite a bit.

It does seem out of place on this album, but I don't mind it. Several bad songs fit in quite well...
                      I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                      I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                      A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                      To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Agreed it is one of the best songs in the album and one of the best vocals of Gavin. He sounds very confident in it and I love that! And I also think it is way different, but it still have the dredg soul and emotion unlike most of the other songs of the album. A perfect example of the change
                        Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

I disagree. This, IMO, is one of the two worst songs on the album. It's very boring to me. I skip it a decent amount of the time.

Comment

I would be interested in why you don't like it.

Comment

I love this song. The album has grown on me an incredible amount, and I feel like this song is a perfect counterbalance to the other songs.

Comment

Working...
                              X