Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

The Dredg Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dredg Story

I posted something like this before CWA came out and thought I'd update it now with the new release. Does anyone think there is a continuous story linking the four LPs? A rather simplistic look at the albums certainly lends itself to this.

Leitmotif is the story of someone traveling on a spiritual journey that ends in a 90 Hour Sleep. That leads to El Cielo, an album about sleep paralysis which culminates in the lines, "I cannot find the other half" being sung over and over again to end the record. Then comes Catch Without Arms, an album about halves, about creating oneness from inherent opposites. This new found oneness may then lead the initial character to look at the current state of the world, and the entrance of its 7 billionth inhabitant, and comment on the fallacy and divisiveness of religion. This last bit, of course, is where The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion comes in.

The last connection, between CWA and TPTPTD, is a little harder to make, but I think it works. That said, I admittedly am trying to find connections here so I am probably more likely to make leaps of faith than if I were being totally subjective.

Thoughts?

Re: The Dredg Story

It's just music.

Comment

Conscious is the part of the story that no one wants to talk about...

Comment

Originally posted by Zenjiro View Post
        It's just music.
        obviously, its not.

Comment

What is it then?

Comment

It's easy to make unintended links throughout separate works simply because the closing notes of your movements represent the direction you're leaning towards next.

That being said, I like the links you've come up with between the first three. They're very last-track focused, and obviously the last song on an album is rarely the last song written - many other things lend themselves to the track order with much greater priority.

I'm not sure I see all that strong a link between Matroshka and TPPD, though.
            Restore your needed shelter..

Comment

My thought is that you're over-analyzing.
              - -- --- ----

Comment

Although the connections between Leitmotif and El Cielo and between El Cielo and Catch Without Arms seem feasible I think they are coincidence. Neat theory though.

Comment

I agree that it's probably coincidence, but quite interesting for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Zenjiro View Post
                    It's just music.
                    ouch.. just music...

you take time out of your life to post on a msg board of a band that you consider.. JUST MUSIC...

i dont know what to say to this
                    ---
                    Originally posted by SomeHomelessGuy View Post
                    Conscious is the part of the story that no one wants to talk about...
                    hahaha... orph / conscious... like the black sheep of the family.. no ties what so ever
                    ---
                    [QUOTE=sextus;152714]
                    Leitmotif is the story of someone traveling on a spiritual journey that ends in a 90 Hour Sleep. That leads to El Cielo, an album about sleep paralysis which culminates in the lines, "I cannot find the other half" being sung over and over again to end the record. Then comes Catch Without Arms, an album about halves, about creating oneness from inherent opposites. This new found oneness may then lead the initial character to look at the current state of the world, and the entrance of its 7 billionth inhabitant, and comment on the fallacy and divisiveness of religion. This last bit, of course, is where The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion comes in.
                    QUOTE]

correct or not.. they way you constructed this paragraph sounds great
                    Many Friends Yet Still A Loner!

THIS TREAUSURE HUNT IS LIKE CRACK!

Comment

i like the story
                      play ketchup

Comment

it definitely makes at least some sense, but much easier to believe a few years ago. i think there is an essay waiting to be written here. of course, it would be completely masturbatory, but i would read it.

clearly, the new album ends in death, so is the story over?
                        Originally posted by vsd
                        ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Nit View Post
                          ...clearly, the new album ends in death, so is the story over?
                          The next album's concept will be about ghosts and haunting.
                          Ssscccaaarrryyyy!!!!!

Comment

Interesting ideas connecting the first three, but I don't think there's any way you can link CWA and TPTPTD.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Nit View Post

clearly, the new album ends in death, so is the story over?
                              No, reincarnation.
                              Because they don't know don't know if they'll be reborn or if there's something on the other side.
                              There's a door open to walk through
                              All I want is just beyond
                              What if I could let my guard down
                              Into freedom, on and on

What if I could just let my guard down
                              What if I could live wide open
                              What if I could just let my guard down
                              And go beyond into the great unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X