Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

My personal reactions and thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My personal reactions and thoughts

Ok, I am sure the entire community has changed since I was an active member of these boards, during the lull in dredg-stuff after CWA my life kind of became one big lump of chaos and I lost alot of interest in art, music, and entertainment because of my personal time constraints.

Its funny that a band I was in love with during the early part of my college days (when El Cielo came out) releases an album the same month I finish my thesis and the world of academia seems to be lifted off my shoulders.

Well, I don't want to press on about what I am sure most of you don't care about and wanted to post here that I really felt this album was amazing... I mean truly amazing. I haven't been emotionally moved by a piece of music like this in probably 5 or 6 years. It reminds me alot of how I felt the first time I listened to The Fragile by NIN, Evil Empire by RATM, Wish you were here by Pink Floyd, Lateralus by Tool, or De-Loused by Mars Volta... heck it reminds me alot of how I felt when I first heard El Cielo. Its a very hard feeling to describe, its a surreal connection, almost as if your heart, your being is a collection of strings vibrating in disarray and the energy of the music pulsates with them in a very specific way to really bend and play with how your emotions carry you so that every thread works together, as if the music really plays to you.

The whole concept of the album fits phenomenally with the musical composition and the album feels like a complete thought, like each song is made better by the tracks around it and the album as a whole is better than the sum of its parts... While some people may disagree with me, I compare it to the albums above where I feel like it really isn't "single-driven." The album as a whole resonates to portray a very powerful picture with a very powerful message and each color or each word is made better by the structure around it. That power really hit me this afternoon when the album came to a close and all I wanted to do was listen to it again.

I just almost needed to vent my feelings somewhere that this type of music is appreciated because honestly the way this album hit me personally is beyond words. Regardless of whether or not I may agree with some of the philosophical points made here, I must say I am speechless about the way it was presented.
    And when the water comes... I will overflow

Re: My personal reactions and thoughts

good to hear from you again...
    hopefully you stick around for a little bit
    Many Friends Yet Still A Loner!

THIS TREAUSURE HUNT IS LIKE CRACK!

Comment

I'm glad to hear of another person loving the album, as I do. Well said, and congrats on your thesis. What were you pursuing?
      Originally posted by Ars Sycro
      I want to walk around half-naked and in sequins and dressed like, I don't know, a pirate, maybe, proclaiming my heterosexuality.

Comment

Originally posted by tapirdrummer View Post
        I'm glad to hear of another person loving the album, as I do. Well said, and congrats on your thesis. What were you pursuing?
        My thesis is outside of my specialization... I am an electrical engineer with a specialization in control theory.

For grad school I wanted to research something new/different, so I did my Master's research in Photonics on Optical Phased Arrays using True Time Delay.
        And when the water comes... I will overflow

Comment

What a friggin nerd.
          Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
          Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Hey, so nice to hear from you again. We registered at the same time back in 2005 and I remember the nice discussions we had at that time.
            I love your posting, filled me with emotions once again. This is pretty much how I feel about the album and dredg in general. Thay give me so much more than "just" music.
            I am overwhelmed by emotions today. It was a long and busy day for me. I was full with frustration because of the dredg's situation and people in general, several stories during last few months cause that. But at the end of the day I got several messages in my facebook of friends and friends of friends that senced so much love and passion in my postings about dredg there during last few months that they decided to get the album without knowing the band at all. Now I am happy and I hope this album will finally give dredg the support they deserve and need.

It was a bit off-topic, but till on topic of emotions.

Nice read, it provoked me to share much more than I usually allow myself in such boards.
            Thanks for that. I guess I needed it.
            Good to have you back and congratulations on finishing your thesis!
            Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

Working...
            X