Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Making one of opposites: "Information" vs. "Catch w/o Arms"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making one of opposites: "Information" vs. "Catch w/o Arms"

Hey there,

it just struck me that Information and CWA represent total opposites in terms of what they express: While in CWA Gavin refused to take the role of some kind of messiah that people / presumably record company executives want him to play:

"I'm not your star, I'm not that beam of light,
    Here to save your life..."

In Information however he not only accepts that role but asks people to come to him with their need of a messiah:

"You're suffering, I feel your pain,
    Allow me to be your sponge.

Cause I can absorb all your sorrows,
    I'm the one."

Well, nothing spectacular but I thought I'd share this with you.
    I can see a washed out moon through the fog.

Re: Making one of opposites: "Information" vs. "Catch w/o Arms"

Except that one is him speaking, and one isn't really him... at least as far as I how I understand the songs.
    Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
    Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Are the lyrics to information really this hard to grasp? From people thinking it's a love song to people thinking he is talking about or even saying HE IS THE ONE in reference to himself, this is insane...
      - Jon

----------------------------------------
      Originally posted by gderd
      dredg is the music I always searched for, the music that keeps in your mind the whole time, the music you remember when you're doing everything, it's the different music. the heart music
      ----------------------------------------

Comment

Hmm, maybe I really didn't quite get the lyrics to Information. Nevermind.

Comment

Hint: It's about a suicide bomber.

Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Hmm, so the first 2 verses and chorus are from the perspective of the suicide bomber?

Comment

it's a conversation between him and his god. at least that's how i perceive it. and then the bridge is in third person.
              Originally posted by vsd
              ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

To me it sounds like a conversation between a preacher of hate / terrorist recruiter (verses) and his potential devotee / the future suicide bomber (chorus).

Comment

Either way, Gavin's not a terrorist.... at least I don't think he is. Maybe Nate can inform us otherwise.

Comment

I think we all agree on that. But what do you make of the verses? Do you think it's the suicide bomber himself talking? You brought up that interpretation so don't just chicken out.

Comment

where in the world do you get that it's a suicide bomber? what about just a changed person or someone who feels like theyre a god? i can see the latter being close to a suicide bomber. but doesnt it talk about a gun, not a bomb in the song? so then it would be an assassin maybe. or, since it turns to 3rd person, it's about someone who thinks theyre changing things, and the other person view is someone trying to kill him.

sorry, just kind of keep brainstorming that one up there^
                      Facebookem, Danno | Twitter me this...

Comment

Well in an interview, Gavin said it was about someone blowing himself up.
                        - -- --- ----

Comment

Where does it ever talk about a gun? Are we listening to the same song?

Ars Sycro added 1 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

Beyond the interview confirming it, these lyrics make it pretty obvious:

"He woke up next to her, his head against her head
                          His hand upon her breast, he knew today meant death
                          Kissed her on the cheek, then on her lips
                          Thought to himself "it's the last time I'll do this"

Put on a suit, pressed and clean
                          Brushed his hair, grabbed his keys
                          Then he headed out to the morning air
                          With an anticipation no man could bear

The air was heavy
                          He could feel it in his lungs
                          With every step he took, a prayer rolled off his tongue
                          They were prayers of forgiveness, and prayers of praise
                          And his actions a gift for a god without a name"

Comment

sorry, i mixed the gun part up with one of their other songs. it's not worth it i think?

prophetstyle added 1 Minutes and 58 Seconds later...

is there a chance this person being referenced in the song could be assassinated though? knowing of a good chance of being killed?

but then i guess the god without a name part wouldn't make sense.

so, ars, you're right. seeing the lyrics now make more sense.

prophetstyle added 1 Minutes and 0 Seconds later...

but then what about this line "Thought to himself 'it's the last time I'll do this'"
                            Facebookem, Danno | Twitter me this...

Comment

Kissed her on the cheek, then on her lips
                              Thought to himself "it's the last time I'll do this"
                              Umm... it's the last time he'll wake up next to her?

Comment

Working...
                              X