Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

What do you channel your influence from dredg into?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you channel your influence from dredg into?

Interesting how every topic here goes to that tangent at some point...
    This time it took only 1.5 pages.
    Silly.
    Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

That's because this place is actually interesting

Comment

Originally posted by SomeHomelessGuy View Post
        Awesome. I saw that site a while ago, way back when I was looking for Reason tutorials cause I had no idea what the hell was going on with it. I've found that Reason's far superior than FL Studio, ACID, or any similar apps just because it's easier to arrange a crapload of layers without being too confusing. I'm still a bit weak when it comes to actually mixing stuff so it sounds normal (I work with a lot of guitar tracks), but it's getting better.
        yeah i know exactly what you mean, the mixing seems to be the hardest part. i dont play any instruments so i taught myself everything on reason. ive got some tracks i made if you wanna check em out:

Listen to music from Squib like Denial, Natsu & more. Find the latest tracks, albums, and images from Squib.

Comment

I'll say this, in summary that is, since a lot of it has been mentioned already: dredg is one of the few, possibly, in a small handful, that can apply to more than just "oh they sound cool" and make you want to sound like them in your musical endeavors. That's all fine and well, but you can really learn a lot more from them, maybe not all of their stuff, but learn something none the less that one can apply to more than just music.

For me, it's the follow:
          1. music (guitar work mainly, but all around whether it be in FL Studio or ideas for songs like these http://myspace.com/spiritscene2)
          2. life (really, dredg's work can open you eyes to things you might take for granted. meeting new people is also something to think about.)
          3. art (drawings, illustrations)
          4. my film work (not that there's a lot, but lately, it's been a driving force behind ideas.)

all in all, it brings things creatively to a serious level and makes you go, wow, the mainstream is garbage. though, you may know that already, it really, without a doubt, helps contrast that more with dredg's material.

then there's the emotional/serious level too.

NOTE: it's late and i just did spanish for hours on end, so i hope this made some sense to you all, or some of you at the very least.
          Facebookem, Danno | Twitter me this...

Comment

I'll expand on what I said earlier, since this is getting bigger.

dredg has always been one of those influences that makes me think twice about things I consider "normal" or "accepted" in society, whether it be the role of art or "god" or just basic rules on how to live ethically and productively. I love the music obviously, but I find that lots of times when I'm in a situation professionally or personally where I'm trying to decide which way to go, the themes in their music help to provide me some clarity on what's important to me and what I truly value.

I work with political campaigns and in government affairs/public affairs, mostly speech writing, political ads, communications stuff, etc. So I try to channel a lot of what I feel and think when hearing their music into broader concepts that can be communicated to other people so that they might think outside their own boundary lines.
            Last edited by TheRuleofThree; March 31, 2009, 12:49 AM.
            Originally posted by Gnomad
            I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
            Originally posted by auto-de-fe
            do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Sounds almost like dredg is your god

Comment

It's the best option available for one as far as I can tell.

Super God.
                do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Super God.

Comment

Originally posted by SimpatiK View Post
                    Sounds almost like dredg is your god

And in fact let me take the opportunity to clarify - I don't derive morals or values from dredg. They simply inspire me to constantly analyze what I think is "right" and "wrong" recognizing that things always change.

Super God.

Comment

Working...
                    X