Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Dredg cover contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dredg cover contest

I posted this a bit earlier on the Bug Eyes -cover thread, but decided to create a new topic for it:

Ok, we should do a Dredg cover contest, whether it should be only acoustic or not, it's up to you people who would enter the contest.

So, cover 1 Dredg song, you have 2 months to do that, the 10 best pieces decided by.....well, by Jon, would be posted on this board or on the main site. We could also vote on those 10 best covers right here on the board, or whatever is the best wau to do it.
    And the prize for the winner and some of the covers right behind that.....
    Well, I have no idea what it would be..... something cool no doubt.

And this is not just another sceme to get George to do another Dredg cover Twisted Evil
    And yeah, only covers done after the start of the contest would be accepted in it, so George would have to cover something else too.

So, who would be in? Iknow I would, I know George would, I know lots of other people would too.
    And Acoustic or not? Only Acoustic would lead to having more people joining the contest, and that's never a bad thing.

Tell me what you think people-

I'm not sure what you mean by "only acoustic". Do you mean the entries should be just vocals and acoustic guitar or the entries should attempt to cover dredg acoustic tracks? Acoustic, for me at least, is harder to get a good recording of. I don't have an electric acoustic and I'd have to mic my acoustic guitar, I use a four-track to record, nothing fancy. So to avoid excessive noise I usually use an electric with an acoustic simulator. That'd be fine for the latter, where I'm just covering a dredg acoustic song. In that case, I'd join and do a Sang Real one with piano and such..
    Restore your needed shelter..

Comment

re: Dredg cover contest

With only acoustic I meant people would cover any Dredg -song - acoustic.
      I figured that most of us are not in a band or do not have the opportunity to record anything but vocals and an acoustic guitar.

But now that I think about it, maybe it'd be better to let everyone decide whether to actually make a "real" cover with drums, bass, guitar, and such, or just try and do an acoustic cover of a song like....well, any song you like, I'd like to do an acoustic cover of a song like Running Through Propellers, that'd sound cool. Well, at least interesting.

But yeah, I think this kinda contest would be cool, but I'm not the one to decide if it's possible to even have one, I guess it'd happen if loads of people were into it.

Yeah, so share your opinions on this.

Comment

I'm in. I'll see what I can do.

Comment

I'm in a band, but it's one thing to be in a band and another thing to have the money and time to go professionally record yourselves. We've done that for originals, and one Beatles cover, I don't think we'll be doing a dredg one just for this (despite my other guitarist being the one who got me into dredg). All I was really saying though is that when we say acoustic and vocals, we're just saying "whatever you can do by yourself".
          Restore your needed shelter..

Comment

What about using a drum simulator? (For example, drumkit from hell).. Would that be allowed?.. Covering The Tanbark Is Hot Lava without drums would sound too weak, I think

Comment

Should all involved do different songs? I mean, I think it would be awesome to have a bunch of different covers to be able to put onto a CD, and it would make it a lot more interesting than having 20 covers of symbol song or bug eyes.

Comment

I'd be in. So you can have other people help you right? or are we just doing it in a solo manner? And also would I be able to use different layers, or are going to be doing this "acousitc" stlye where it's just pretty much a couple live takes?
                Originally posted by Ars Sycro
                I have a type. I like hot bitches.

Comment

That would sound best, I agree. It shouldn't have to be studio recordings(though that's awesome if you can get it done, I would if I could). And I'm going to do this with my brother, we've always taken songs and made them acoustic... we do an awesome version of the Deftones Knife Prty.

Comment

if you have an mp3 of knife party up i would definitely be interested, one of my fave deftones songs...

go get your knife go get your knife...

Comment

Re: re: Dredg cover contest

Originally posted by Gnomad
                      Should all involved do different songs? I mean, I think it would be awesome to have a bunch of different covers to be able to put onto a CD, and it would make it a lot more interesting than having 20 covers of symbol song or bug eyes.
                      That'd be cool

.. I've got dibs on tanbark!

Comment

Well, I'm going to do three of them and only submit one. Symbol Song(obviously not that one), Sanzen, and Jamais Vu... I haven't decided beteen Jamais Vu and Sanzen just yet. There may be a forth as well, since my brother was interested in doing Hungover acoustically.

Comment

my band is thinking of starting Matroshka, with the outro and everything. but a slightly differant rendition.

Comment

So, it's a contest with just the same instruments used by the band pretty much?

Doesn't sound too interesting to me. Why make the same song over?

Comment

well i would assume that the judges would take your own creativity into account when voting. the best covers are the ones that maintain the vision of the original while being fresh with the covering artists own signature.

much like tool's "no quarter"

Comment

Working...
                              X