Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Your Top 3 dredg memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Top 3 dredg memories

based on other recent threads, what are your top 3 favorite dredg moments?

aside from the first time you heard them....if you posted in apg3soup's thread, that's been covered...

these can be directly related to the band, or maybe a way that you felt after a show, or after listening to a cd....they can be a short time period or encompass a day, week, month...whatever...it's your memories...share them as they were

i don't have time to type mine out right now...but i will probably later tonight....

ok? go!
    Originally posted by Lye In Your Eye
    you're pretty narcissistic
    enjoy that, nobody else does.
    Originally posted by Madklikor
    You call me ignorant? LOL...Stop judging right you or you're gonna find me

Oh god.

This thread is going to be too much.

I can't believe I have to narrow it down to three. Asshole.

Give me some time. Haha.
    Originally posted by Gnomad
    I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
    Originally posted by auto-de-fe
    do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

re: Your Top 3 dredg memories

I will write mine later too when I get some more time tonight
      'What man has made of man' - Wordsworth: Lines Written in Early Spring

Comment

flying to amsterdam an seeing em at the melkweg on cwa tour 1st time.
        1st time ii heard leitmotif
        meeting the guys and watching the set from the barrier at this years download festival.
        What Miracle Is This? This Giant Tree
        It Stands Ten Thousand Feet High
        But Doesn''t Reach The Ground. Still It Stands
        Its Roots Must Hold The Sky

Comment

1)Seeing them for the first time live.
          2)Buying Leitmotif.
          3)Finding out that a buddy of mine that I met is Gavin's fucking cousin.

Comment

1) Being at their first show in Atlanta, and singing along to every song while everybody else just stared.

2) Standing outside of the Cotton Club until 2am to meet Drew and Dino.... though Dino had snuck out earlier cause he was sick.

3) Seeing them play a show in clown suits.
            Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
            Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

1. Meeting them at Coconut's and making a loser of myself.

2. The first time I listened to el cielo [and heard "The Canyon Behind Her"].

3. Seeing them live.

Honorable mention: being a part of the treasure hunt.

Comment

1. listening to "canyon behind her" for the first time.
                2. listening to lietmotif for the first time.
                3. every time i listen to el cielo all the way through.

5 worst dredg memories:

1-5. missing dredg 5 times live because of horrible coincidence and circumstance. whoa is me.

Comment

1)it was a bright and sunny cold december day in 2002. i went to an extra credit seminar about drugs after school. an interesting encounter occurred with an old friend. i came home, tired, sun setting, put on el cielo and wrote a poem. by an elephant in the delta waves i was lying flat on my back, fighting to keep my eyes open. during the canyon behind her i was experiencing sleep paralysis. it was the first time i had experienced it since el cielo taught me what it was. it was the first time i could actually enjoy it after being so terrified by it before. euphoria.

2)seeing the band live for the first time when they opened up at snocore. got to meet all of them and chat outside of the venue after the show. // 2 years later after seeing them 3 more times having dino recognize me and hand me a drumstick after they finished their set.

3) seeing them headline last year with the venue packed, and my mom standing next to me in the 4th row rocking out.
                  Originally posted by vsd
                  ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

1) The Treasure Hunt. I can no longer put into words what that experience meant to me. It'll have to be something pretty huge to top that.

2) Everytime I run into Drew at a show and having him recognize me. There's this weird thing when you respect someone a lot that they're on a higher level than you. Hang out with Drew a little bit though, and that level just drops. He's such an amazing guy for the mere fact that he treats you so equal. And it's rare these days, cause a lot of bands are dicks to their fans and don't care. Getting a chance to meet Drew is just a high point in my life. Actually, I got a chance to have an actual conversation with Gavin, and he's the same way. Great guy. I'm not going to say what, cause it's personal to friend of mine, but he did something you would NEVER expect from someone you have that much respect for. I just find it incredible how you can respect someone and not feel inferior. Weird, but I just never really thought about that concept until now.

3) Meeting Scott, Trevor, and Zack. They're proof that being a dredg fan means more than just having good taste in music. Good humans.

Comment

Aw. That's awesome, Gnomad . . .

Comment

1. I saw dredg 3 times within 1 week during the month of August, when they hit up the new england area for their second leg of the cwoa release tour.
                        got to hang out with a bunch of my friends (which is rare for us all to be together at once) & did my first taping of dredg/any band on the last of the 3 days.
                        Was introduced to Vedera and of the hour due to those dates, both of which being very good band with very cool people in them. at the maine show i got the band to sign my copy of orph and got to tape the interaction between dino and a drunk fan at the rhode island show.

2. The Filmore performances....
                        these performances were special to me for a few
                        reasons....
                        for one, california is kinda far away, but is one of my favorite places to be...ever...having some pretty great friends out in that area & free places to stay definetly added to the awesomeness of both trips, along with my girlfriend coming with me for the second trip.
                        ....hearing songs performed for the first time in america (zebra skin, stone by stone) and hearing a long absent song (whoa is me) for the first time live helped make those some of the best shows i've ever been to. getting to meet up with trevor, billy & josh prior to the first show & getting to hang out with them, drew, gavin & beau, inside, prior to the doors opening was definetly cool. meeting hungover, rissa and a few other non-board members was one of the best things about the whole trip.

3. the 4-22-06 boston show...
                        started out meeting up at the sunset bar and grill with a bunch of my friends....it was my friend pete's birthday that day, and it was my girlfriend's first time seeing dredg as well, so that added to the over-all fun of the day...
                        this was my most ambitious taping project, since i had 5 cameras to tape with that night... it ended up being really hectic prior to the show / getting everything/one set up...but ended up being really great...
                        drew ended up helping out a lot by getting me an all access pass to get a camera set up on a balcony. the footage i got (and still need to work on) is pretty solid...i can't wait to finish that up. i got to meet a lot of random people & some board members at that show which is always a fun time.....after the show, all my friends and i went up the street to beer works and were soon followed by mark, drew and gavin....got to talk to them for awhile & ended up having a great night drinkin beer and reflecting on the night...
                        Originally posted by Lye In Your Eye
                        you're pretty narcissistic
                        enjoy that, nobody else does.
                        Originally posted by Madklikor
                        You call me ignorant? LOL...Stop judging right you or you're gonna find me

Comment

hmmm...

1. probably the time that i went to the Sno-Core Tour they were on with glassjaw...a bunch of my firends were supposed to be meeting me up there, but dredg was getting ready to start their set and I couldn't wait outside for them any longer, because the venue was strictly no re-entry. So dredg played their awesome set, and I went to go get a beer. While I'm up front I see my 5 friends standing outside. I wonder why the fuck they dont come in, but if i go outside, i know I wont get back in. As soon as they saw me, they frantically huddled att he door trying to get my attention. I ouldn't understand what they were saying, but I figured at the worst, I could sneak bakc in, as I'd done that several times at that venue. So I went outside, and I guess they were late because the mother of one of the girls coming up there had called the police on her daughter and her crazy friends who were trying to kidnap her and take her to some drug crazed rock show debauchery. They bolted from the house before the cops arrived and came to the show.....forgetting their tickets. This is getting lengthy, so I'll wrap it up...i went around back to find some help, and there's Drew. He asks me what's up (like others have stated, he always remembers me...as do Mark, Gvin, and Dino), and I explain the situation. He proceeds to walk my firneds in the back 2 at a time. I said "You're a hell of a guy, Drew." He kind of bumped into me, laughing, and said "you're a hell of a guy too, Brian." Then me and Drew watched glassJAw and then smoked some weed. (Side note...the girl whose mom called the cops has been my girlfriend for three years since that very night, and is my baby's momma. None of that would have happened if Drew wouldn't have gotten them into that show.)

2. Smoking with Drew in their old van. I saw the "change" symbol in duct tape on the dash, and told Drew I just got a tattoo of that. He didnt believe me, so I showed him. He then paraded me around to the rest of the band, insisting that they "Check out my fucking Leg." Mark took pictures.

3. Their show at the bottleneck with Deadsy and Taproot. I didnt stay for Deadsy or Taproot, but I hadnt seen dredg in a long time, and it was the first time i had heard songs from El Cielo Live after actually hearing the album. Actually, everytime I saw dredg there was good.

4+. Every other time ive seen dredg. (drew watching the deftones from the side of the stage with me and my friends at TOC, the shows with 5 people, the more recent packed shows....all of these are among my fondest memories of life in general.
                          http://turntable.fm/traversing

BYOB

Comment

re: Your Top 3 dredg memories

This is a great idea, evasive. really interesting responses. I'd like to know if anyone has ever had a similar experience to my #1:

1. The first time listening to "El Cielo," I instantly fell in love with dredg (first time hearing them) and listened to it straight for a day. At the end of the day I was listening to it alone in my room and I remember I was playing "of the room." I looked up at the ceiling, and all of a sudden I couldn't move; I felt like I was going to die or something. I started to cry and a few seconds later I could move and I looked over at my stereo like "holy shit, this music is fucking magical." It was pretty damn intense.

2. Seeing and meeting the band after thier performance at the Nokia Theater (terrible place, don't go there). Dino didn't really seem like he wanted to talk with me, but Drew did and was very nice and incredibly down to earth.

3. Seeing them in NY the second time with one of my best friends. Their performance was 100x better than the Nokia Theatre performance. They seemed to really enjoy it which made it very worthwhile.

4+ any time I listen to them - especially "canyon behind her" and "triangle." Those songs have moved me to tears so many times even though I don't have any memories or emotions attached to them. It's just such good music.

oh, and sorry to be a d-bag writing a super long post, but one other fun moment was when I found out that this one random kid and I had the same dredg roots. that was fun.

PLUS any time I'm listening to them and somebody is like "Corey, who is this?" and then I enlighten them.

Comment

1. hearing matroshka and becoming obssessed with that song but realizing i'll probably never hear them play it.....

2. my first time seeing dredg because i was front and center during the show and i got gavin's set list after.  

3. flying to cali for the fillmore show, i was a bundle of anxiety for days before and it just kept building up because i was so excited to see them play again.  and it was just an amazing show.
                              i was looking down at you smiling up at me....

Comment

Working...
                              X