Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

What I've been up to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I've been up to

I'm sure some of you remember me. I use to post here all the time. I'm getting ready to graduate school, with my graphic design degree. About 6 months ago I started doing digital illustration, with the aid of a Wacom tablet. It has taken me a while to get the hang of it, but I think I'm getting better. So I've still been around the internet, just moved over to Emptees.com and have become part of that community.

Anyways, check out my website, let me know what you think.

Last edited by lmerr; November 9, 2010, 02:08 AM.
    DeviantArt Facebook

Re: What I've bee up to

What kind of wacom do you have? intuos?
    just sayin'...

Comment

Intuos 4 medium
      DeviantArt Facebook

Comment

Ah. I just have a little graphire4 but it's good enough for me.
        just sayin'...

Comment

Re: What I've been up to

Are you using Photoshop or Manga Studio?

I wish I could get my hands on a copy of MS, but I can't afford it at the moment. The line quality is easily 10x better. Its too bad that the trial won't let you save or export :/
          DeviantArt Facebook

Comment

never heard of manga studio. I've been using photoshop, but I just played around with the tablet a bit when i first got it a month or so ago and haven't used it much since.
            Check out ImWearingUrskin's art on DeviantArt. Browse the user profile and get inspired.
            just sayin'...

Comment

I love it.

Comment

Neato. You need more content, though. I was sad when I ran out of things to look at. By the way, that spider scares the fuck out of me.

Comment

lmerr, where do you want to go with your career? Because looking at your portfolio, I'm a little lost.

And I don't mean I have no idea what you want to do. You're clearly an illustrator and you're pretty damn good at it. You are looking for a graphic design job...but what kind of graphic design job do you actually want, because based on your portfolio, I can't tell.

For instance, you have some very corporate/small business looking identity pieces (which are very good I might add), but then all of your illustration pieces look like you were doing designs for metal band t-shirts/hot topic posters.

Your print work is clearly very grunge/music based... with a red cross poster and a fake movie poster thrown in there too. And then you have some decent photography pieces.

I understand that you're graduating, so this may be the only work that you have. But while you have variety across your different portfolio sections, you have very little within each.

if I were a band looking to have someone design a poster for us, and I went to your portfolio...based on your Print work I'd feel confident in contacting you. However, if I were a local small business and needed a brochure designed / a cover illustrated, I'd see that you clearly have talent, but nothing that would work for me as a small business owner.

That's not true though. You have some great logos that would show you clearly have the talent to create something in the lines of what a business owner might be looking for. But the point is, that potential client took a look at your print work, decided that there wasn't anything in that section that would work for them, and they never made it to your logo work cause they figured it just be more of the same.

There is nothing wrong with having personal projects in your portfolio, and when you're first starting out, this may be the only way to truly get diversity in your portfolio. But like I was saying, pieces of work that are blatantly student projects/made-up may end up hurting you when sending out your portfolio. Not even because they're not good, but just because they are student work...

To me, student work says "I had an assignment given to me at the beginning of the week, and this is what I came up with after x hours and x classes." Which then makes me wonder, can this person handle turning out this quality of work in a day? Not because the client only gave us a day to work on a project (although they might have), but because I'll also need this person to finish 10 different projects by Thursday, with different variations of them, including one throw away piece just so the client is more apt to pick the one that we actually want them to.

One last thing. Your resume lists some of your clients...I'm wondering where the work is for Scenic River Roots and David Traylor Zoo. (i'm assuming the ZeroWork Clothing is the t-shirt you have in your portfolio?) The reason I ask is because, with the very little experience you have, I would think that you'd want to show off all your professional pieces. The fact there are some missing (and if they are in there, they're not labeled) makes me wonder what you actually did for these clients? Did you just do type-setting? Maybe cleaned up another artists' work on the way to pre-press? Maybe you did a shitty job and that's why it's not in here? I don't know. I can only speculate, and when a potential employer is presented with two options 1. a decent designer that has a well rounded portfolio and you knew exactly what they did on each project or 2. a potentially great designer, but there are a lot of 'what if's'...the employer will likely go with the sure-fire win rather than get potentially screwed and be out a bunch of time and money.

Wow this is turning out to be quite lengthy......I'll attempt to wrap this up....

In summation, your portfolio is 'good'. You clearly excel at certain types of illustration and are very (metal) band oriented. And if that's all that you care about, awesome. You're doing just fine. However, if you want any other jobs aside from that (and you will, because most bands pay in free tickets to shows if anything at all) then you need to round out your portfolio some more.

You have talent, and I think if you show off more of a variety of it you'll do quite well for yourself. Good luck and keep showing off your work.
                  Originally posted by Lye In Your Eye
                  you're pretty narcissistic
                  enjoy that, nobody else does.
                  Originally posted by Madklikor
                  You call me ignorant? LOL...Stop judging right you or you're gonna find me

Comment

Working...
                  X