Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Dredg Inspired Music - III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dredg Inspired Music - III

Hello, traversing board. I'll keep this short.

I play in a band called Short of the Sun (formerly known as Obviatus). Our songwriting is heavily influenced by dredg. In the past, I have shared our work with the community here and gotten a very positive response, so I am inclined to continue doing so. I saw dredg recently when As Tall As Lions opened up for them, and the band and I got into their music quite a bit as well, so they are a new influence on our work.

We just released a new six-song EP, and the whole thing is easily streamable from http://shortofthesun.bandcamp.com. Please take the time to listen and share your thoughts.

Thanks.
    Restore your needed shelter..

Re: Dredg Inspired Music - III

I actually think this sounds pretty good. So far I have only listened to "Pining" but I'm working my way through them and I like your sound.
    Life's a zoo, be an animal
    "keep the p-vibes flowin"

Comment

This stuff is stellar man. I really, really like it. What part do you have in the band Pryftan Wing? The vocalist, and I mean this in appraisal, reminds me of current Geddy Lee.
      Last edited by efpdwd; November 28, 2010, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks for listening, both of you!

Antiverse, let me know what you think of the rest of the EP sometime! Pining's definitely our "attention-grabber" but I think the best songs are later on. My favorite is the title track personally.

efpdwd, I'm the singer/rhythm guitarist. I definitely appreciate the Geddy Lee nod; whatever anyone says about him he's very good at making the high tenor range sound solid and strong. I'm kinda working the opposite arc from him, in that I started really soft-rock restrained and I'm trying to add a little more of an aggressive edge when it's appropriate (like in With Envy).

Comment

You guys are real solid
          There's some great stuff on that ep
          And some .. not so great stuff
          You have a great voice and definitely have some skill.
          But when you sing too soft (especially on The Emerald City), your vibrato gets waivery and you begin to sound really melodramatic..
          Absolutely love your voice when you put power behind it though!

Think I enjoyed With Envy the most.. With Shamrocks and Pining as a close second/third

Comment

Knifeboy, I definitely agree with you in terms of my vibrato on this record. I don't know what was up with me or my voice on the few days we recorded the vocals, but I pushed it way too much and it sounds forced rather often. I'm very glad you like how it sounds in the more powerful bits though! Like I mentioned I'm more used to the softer restrained stuff and the edgier bits are newer to me, so its great to hear that things are working out there.

Personally, "Shamrocks" is my favorite, and also happens to be the only track I had no part in writing.. go figure.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9R43vsbZsM

Mostly sharing this because the visual turned out insanely good. (But it's also a new song from us.)

Comment

good stuff!
                allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Much better audio on this one.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqG4k2T2sCE

Comment

Short of the Sun - Red Giant (Music Video)

Comment

Working...
                    X