Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

A Note Re: Leaks and Traversing

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Note Re: Leaks and Traversing

A couple administrative notes regarding leaks:

1) If you have the record, don’t tell everyone unless you intend to share it. Flaunting connections or goodies is unbecoming and just drives people nuts.

2) We’re not going to delete threads with links or ways of getting the album because the band has told us not to bother. So please don’t notify administrators or report posts if it gets posted, because we’re not going to do anything about it.

3) And just because the band told us not to bother doesn’t mean that they WANT it to leak, so don’t extend the above logic to mean that they’re somehow encouraging it.

4) Please be aware that fake leaks happen all the time, as do low quality leaks. If you want the full quality guaranteed, the best thing to do is either wait for a legit FLAC rip or - ALWAYS the best option – buy the record when it’s available. Anyone who remembers the Catch Without Arms “Crayon” theme will understand how crazy this can get.

That is all.
    Originally posted by Gnomad
    I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
    Originally posted by auto-de-fe
    do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Re: A Note Re: Leaks and Traversing

Amen.
    BLOG
    DEPTHS
    RABBIT HOLE

Comment

Great post!
      I can't wait for the album, but, please, don't leak it before it's officially out.
      They are with their own label now which, for me, means they need even more support now! So, let's rather buy more records for friends then copy/leak ours.
      Just my personal opinion. We all love them, let's do our share of support and respect!
      Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

Originally posted by InfraredDream View Post
        I can't wait for the album, but, please, don't leak it before it's officially out.
        Good luck with that.

Super God.
        do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
          Good luck with that.
          Well, that's just a wish... Wishes don't offen come to reality, but still...

Comment

Just because it leaks doesn't mean sales will be hurt... at least it won't hurt my purchase. But I'll definitely download it as soon as I hear it is available.
            Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
            Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Originally posted by InfraredDream View Post
              Great post!
              They are with their own label now which, for me, means they need even more support now! So, let's rather buy more records for friends then copy/leak ours.
              Just my personal opinion. We all love them, let's do our share of support and respect!
              Im waiting for the vinyl, but definitely DL'ing the leak once it drops. Anyone try to contact that guy from the album teaser review? Hes got his AIM name on the site... I was tempted. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
                Just because it leaks doesn't mean sales will be hurt... at least it won't hurt my purchase. But I'll definitely download it as soon as I hear it is available.
                Well, I see your point. But not all people out there are like that.
                Personal opinion.
                I may be wrong. And of course I am tempted and I will probably download it if it becomes available. I just wish it won't.

Comment

On the subject of leaks, there was a time where the only way to tell whether or not you’d like a record was to buy it yourself, or find a friend who had bought it already. We are past that time, and there’s no way to pretend or imagine we can go back.

I don’t think there’s any real harm in downloading a leak. If someone is excited for a record, why wouldn’t they grab it as soon as it’s available? If they were doing it on principle, they could always just buy the record no matter what if they want to be an absolutist about it. But excitement is what it is for a reason. It makes just as much sense for the band to want that peak excitement to be as close to the release date as possible, because it increases the likelihood that the band will get a return on their investment.

For instance, if people could preorder the album right now… imagine what the sales would be. If the album leaked in the next two weeks, and two weeks after that there was a preorder option… preorder numbers would likely be lower than they would have been when it was entirely unavailable. But it’s one of those situations where either way there’s no perfect solution.

Super God.

Comment

i would probably download it as well. i would hope id have the patience to wait though. maybe id only listen to songs id already heard. who knows...

june 9th needs to hurry up and get here

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
                      Yup. Same here. And I'll be buying at least two copies the day it hits the shelves.

I've never quite understood how leaks hurt sales in any significant way. Aren't the people who don't want to pay for the record just going to download it, regardless of whether the download is available now or on June 10?

Comment

Originally posted by Corroded Halo View Post
                        Yup. Same here. And I'll be buying at least two copies the day it hits the shelves.

I've never quite understood how leaks hurt sales in any significant way. Aren't the people who don't want to pay for the record just going to download it, regardless of whether the download is available now or on June 10?
                        that is very true. when i first heard of dredg, i downloaded leitmotif, and a few days later, i bought the record. so, im sure that anyone who is a real fan would end up paying for it anyway.

Comment

Because people are lazy, and because it makes sense to capitalize on excitement by having a way for people to pay for the record while they still have the most anticipation for it, rather than hoping that they'll do it out of love and admiration after the fact.

Super God.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
                            Because people are lazy, and because it makes sense to capitalize on excitement by having a way for people to pay for the record while they still have the most anticipation for it, rather than hoping that they'll do it out of love and admiration after the fact.
                            there is a sort of preorder on amazon for the new record. i imagine in the next couple of weeks there will be preorder packages available on their site somewhere.

Comment

Why buy it if I can get it for free?

Comment

Working...
                              X