Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Sad news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad news

Chris Avis (CAvis) lost his life in a car accident last night.

Even if you never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, most of you probably have some of his excellent recordings. Such a solid, nice dude...

Originally posted by kata rokkar
    Supterfuckingultrawesomecoreasaurus

Re: Sad news

Damn, that really sucks.

RIP CAvis. Positive thoughts to his family and friends.
    Originally posted by Gnomad
    How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

Comment

His last email to me was on 7/4/17, I've met him through here on the traversing forum I believe with Kata for the Far (aka Hot Little Pony) reunion shows in 2008. I miss him already. I'll be attending his funeral on Monday 7/17/17 in Bakersfield, CA. RIP CAVIS

My Skydrive:https://cid-efc3e98cdde49c31.skydriv....com/home.aspx

Comment

what a loss. he was a truly awesome individual.
        Originally posted by Lye In Your Eye
        you're pretty narcissistic
        enjoy that, nobody else does.
        Originally posted by Madklikor
        You call me ignorant? LOL...Stop judging right you or you're gonna find me

Comment

Sad news...

I definitely remember him from his recordings that I still have. Never met the guy but still, terrible news.

Last edited by One Second Clubber; July 13, 2017, 02:23 PM.
          Originally posted by Ars Sycro
          I have a type. I like hot bitches.

Comment

What are some of his recordings?
            I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
            I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
            A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
            To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

here's his website: http://cavistapes.com/

here's some dredg recordings on the internet archive tagged w/cavis (though i wouldn't be surprised if there were many more that didn't show up in the filter)
              https://archive.org/search.php?query...n%3Adredg&&and[]=subject%3A%22cavis%22

Comment

Yeah, looking there I do have several of his recordings. Sucks. Those guys go out of their way and do us all a solid.
                I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Originally posted by darshun View Post
                  His last email to me was on 7/4/17, I've met him through here on the traversing forum I believe with Kata for the Far (aka Hot Little Pony) reunion shows in 2008. I miss him already. I'll be attending his funeral on Monday 7/17/17 in Bakersfield, CA. RIP CAVIS
                  See ya there.
                  ---
                  Good call on all of his stuff on archive, Scott!

Also, his YouTube & Vimeo channels are treasures:

Live concert videos, and home of the Altered Course series. http://cavistapes.com http://alteredcoursesessions.com cavistapes (at) gmail (dot) com

Documenting live music from California, and occasionally other parts of America. Also home of the Altered Course Sessions. cavistapes (at) gmail (dot) com
                  Originally posted by kata rokkar
                  Supterfuckingultrawesomecoreasaurus

Comment

Hello everyone,

Former poster emptyzero here. I re-registered because my previous account is tied to an old email account.

Sitting at work with no words. Crushed. dredg (01/09/04 w/ Sleepytime Gorilla Museum @ Nita's Hideaway Tempe, AZ) was the first band I ever taped with some gear a local dredg fan loaned me prior to getting my own later in the year. Shortly after that I started posting on taperssection.com where I met Chris. Truly one of the kindest and most generous people I've ever encountered. We followed many of the same bands and taped on the same tours. We stayed in touch for a good decade and always had a great time talking about taping shows. I am just so disappointed (in myself) that we lost touch these past few years and I really wish I could have been in Bakersfield yesterday. Just found out 30 minutes ago through this thread. Stunned.

Peace.

Comment

very sorry to read. I doubt I met him, but his name is familiar on the forums.

Very sorry to read/hear about this.

Rest in Peace.
                      allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

we briefly hung out with him after the original leitmotif and el cielo full concerts, back in 2006.

Here's his recording of the el cielo concert, that Hungover and I were able to use when putting together our videos of the night: https://archive.org/details/dredg200...2.cavis.flac16

Comment

While I don't come by here as often as I would like...so I'm behind in learning of this...I didn't expect to see such sad news when I did today.

I remember his contributions to the community and he will surely be missed.
                          - Jon

----------------------------------------
                          Originally posted by gderd
                          dredg is the music I always searched for, the music that keeps in your mind the whole time, the music you remember when you're doing everything, it's the different music. the heart music
                          ----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                          X